Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Washington D.C.- A new beginning


I have been in Washington D.C. for almost a month now and I must say the area is engulfed with a number of activities from visiting historical museums, baseball games to even walking through The National Mall, an open-area park spanning from Capitol Hill to Lincoln Memorial.

After reflecting on my first week, I was truly amazed by the two polarities offered by the Nation’s Capitol. On one hand, one is exposed to the commercial and political ambiance of the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the White House, Congress and the Pentagon. While on the other hand, open air exercising is readily available. From running and jogging through the streets of downtown D.C. to even the team sports of kickball and softball on the National Mall.

Coming from a region known for “sun, sand and sea” to being an intern in Washington D.C. has been truly eye opening. The last few days have been hot and humid so I often heave a sigh of relief as I enter the air-conditioned office. An ironic statement coming from a Caribbean national, who should be accustomed to a humid climate.

D.C. also offers to interns the opportunity to attend several seminars by The Congressional Summer Series, embassies and notable organizations like the CATO Institute and the Woodrow Wilson Center. My first few weeks in Washington have been astounding thus despite my gradual adjustment to the Metro and the summer heat. However, I can already tell that it is going to be an incredible summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment